Thursday, April 10, 2014

PB&J Oatmeal {Gluten Free}


My kids already really like PB&J sandwiches, and I really like peanut butter or some kind of nut butter, so I decided to see what I could come up with. The jelly is a great sweetener for oatmeal without adding tons of sugar. I used my homemade jam with chia seeds. The peanut butter gives a BLAST of protein and the yogurt makes it creamy goodness.

My kids always seem to be hungry like right after breakfast, so I really try to give them something filling that will hold them off until a small mid morning snack, or lunch time. When the boys eat TOO much before lunch then lunch doesn't get eaten. And at our house we really strive to have everybody eat whats on their plate before they can have a snack, dessert, or even a next meal. So if my child is full and doesn't eat lunch, I don't force him but I will save his plate until he says he is hungry again. If he refuses the next time he is hungry, I know that he probably just didn't like what I made, BUT he will have to eat it this time. Even though food grows on trees, its still not cheap!

My children are not very picky eaters but they are used to what mom makes, just like any child. I do try to make foods healthy and kid friendly. That is why I thought PB&J oatmeal would be a great filling breakfast, and something they would continue to ask for. Oatmeal is not necessarily one of our favorite breakfast foods, and so that's why being creative and coming up with better ways to eat it is a goal.

Breakfast always seems like a challenge to me, I'm trying to use little to no cereal BUT cereal is convenient when we don't have time to cook. AND its definitely better than fast food OR a bakery.  Eggs are wonderful almost everyday! BUT not everyday..lol :( Oatmeal is a nice once a week thing. Pancakes always come with syrup SO that is a treat and I rarely make that. It should actually be more of a dessert. Same with cinnamon rolls and other carby breakfasts. Rice cakes with nut butter or jelly on top are good for a fast breakfast too. We don't eat to much breakfast sausage, because its expensive for quality organic meat.

Also when choosing a PEANUT BUTTER its best to ALWAYS buy ORGANIC, peanuts are HEAVILY sprayed with pesticides and CHEMICALS more then other nuts. So if you have to go conventional its BEST to buy ALMOND BUTTER or make your own almond butter at home. Also try SUNFLOWER SEED BUTTER and CASHEW BUTTER.

Please post some of your breakfast favorites!

PB&J Oatmeal 
Oats {Gluten Free}
Peanut/Nut Butter
Jelly/Jam {Make homemade Jam Here}
Yogurt {rBST Free}
Honey to taste

*I decided not to put amounts because everybody's family size is different. Make enough oatmeal for your family, and let everybody add desired amount of toppings, OR when your oatmeal is done, place about 2TBSP of peanut/nut butter, Jelly, and yogurt PER 1 cup of oatmeal made.

1. Make desired amount of oatmeal.
2. Either place cooked oatmeal in separate bowls and let everyone add toppings, OR add 2tbsp of each topping per 1 cup of oatmeal.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab My Button

Honest Motherhood

Popular Posts