Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls (Dairy-free options)

**WARNING**-Making cinnamon rolls takes time. Start the dough the night before and refrigerate the finished cut up rolls or  start about 1 1/2 hours before you need or want them done.


We really enjoy a yummy homemade treat like these cinnamon rolls! But we don't have to cheat or get off our diet to have one. Eating REAL food is about balance, and eating REAL food.

When you don't have to starve yourself, and you get to eat foods you enjoy eating it feels less tempting for me to overeat or "cheat". I think the number one benefit I love about feeding my body right, is the way I feel. I feel light, clear-minded, healthy, less gassy, I feel good about myself and I have energy to do what I need to do! Which, clearly I need lots of energy to keep with three very energetic boys, a household of responsibilities, grocery shopping, family chef, etc. You get the picture.

On the contrary, when I give in and eat something I know I wouldn't normally, I just feel yucky. I feel bloated, heavy, and it usually sets me on a lazy path. Thankfully, since I can't stand that feeling I usually push myself to get on the elliptical for at least 30 minutes to burn away some of the guilt or shame from feeling lazy and eating horrible. 

This is the best recipe that I have made for these gluten free cinnamon rolls. I think the key to making these is following the recipe. They are soft and gooey, a perfect gluten free treat. You can make dairy-free along with gluten-free, with the substitutes and options I wrote below. Happy Baking!!

Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls (Dairy free option)
                              Adapted from food-pusher.com

Dough:
  • 1 cup milk or unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/3 cup butter or (Healthy balance "butter" sticks for dairy-free)
  • 1 large egg, room temp
  • 2 1/2 cups Namaste Gluten Free Flour Blend
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup non-gmo cane sugar 
  • 1 1/4 tsp yeast
Filling:
  • 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 1/3 tbsp butter, very soft or(Healthy balance spread for dairy-free)
Topping:
  • 1/2 ounces of cream cheese (optional) (Omit for dairy free)
  • 2 tbsp butter, softened or (Healthy balance for dairy free)
  • 3/4 cup powdered sugar or (stevia for sugar free)
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla
  • 1 pinch salt
Directions:

In a microwave safe dish pour milk and butter, microwave for 50-60 seconds until butter is softened but not completely melted. If hot allow to cool to warm.

In a medium sized bowl add gf flour, salt, non-gmo sugar, and yeast. In standing mixer or bowl pour the warm milk and butter, add egg and then pour dry ingredient on top. Mix to moisten the dry ingredients scraping the sides. Then mix on high for three minutes using paddle attachment. If mixing by hand I would use your hands and mix for about 3 minutes very well. Cover using a clean dish towel and side aside in a warm place for 35-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.



Mix the first three filling ingredients together. Set aside. Grease baking dish of 10x7 or 8x8 if only cooking some. Cut a 20 inch piece of plastic wrap and lay it out on the counter, spreading out an even, thin layer of gf flour. Shape dough into a ball and gently press down forming into a square. Use a rolling pin to shape into a 12x18 inch rectangle.

Next, spread the softened butter on the surface of the dough. Spread the filling evenly on top of the butter. Gently roll the dough into a log. You may need to spread some flour as your rolling especially if its sticking to your fingers. 

Cut the dough in about 3 inch sections or however thick you'd like your cinnamon rolls. Gently place rolls into baking dish and cover with a clean kitchen towel until about doubled, which should be about 30 minutes.


Bake the cinnamon rolls at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until turning a golden brown on top. While rolls are baking mix up the topping by adding all ingredients together and whisking in a bowl. When your rolls are all done, let them cool for about 5 minutes and then you can began frosting.

Enjoy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab My Button

Honest Motherhood

Popular Posts