Thursday, February 27, 2014

"Out of the Box" Homemade Mac N Cheese {Gluten Free}

This post was inspired by my sister in law and my beautiful nieces! I'm really hoping Claire and Cennedy like it. If not then I'll just have to keep trying :) This post is also for moms alike whose kids like the "box stuff" but want to give them something better :)



If your child is super picky about where their mac n cheese comes from, I'd suggest leaving a box of Annies or Kraft on the counter when your making this, just so in their mind they think its from the box.

I understand that everybody's real food journey is different. We should all get to the point of using real ingredients BUT overtime you will learn what ingredients are safe or better and continue to change based on this new knowledge. It takes time, but I'm glad we are getting back to eating whole foods :)


The reason that some of the ingredients aren't in the picture is because after I was done making it I felt like the taste was a bit bland, so I added some more favor :)

"Out of the box" Homemade Mac N Cheese 
16oz box Macaroni Noodles {I used 2 8oz boxes of Gluten Free Andean Dream Quinoa Macaroni}
1/4c butter { I used Full Circle Organic}
1/2tbsp minced garlic
1/2c Flour {I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour}                                      
1 1/2c of Milk {I used rbst free milk}
1c heavy whipping cream
2c shredded white cheddar cheese {Buy a block and shred yourself, its cheaper}
2tsp Dijon mustard
2tsp yellow mustard
2tsp garlic pepper 
salt and pepper to taste
1-2tsp turmeric for coloring only, not taste

Directions

1. Cook macaroni according to directions on package

2. Meanwhile, place butter in a deep pan or pot and let melt on low heat, add minced garlic

3. Slowly add flour, whisking and mixing as it is being added


 4. Slowly add milk and cream, whisking and mixing as its added. Turn up heat to low-medium, Cook until it thickens up and bubbles a bit.

5. Add cheese, Dijon mustard, yellow mustard, garlic pepper, salt and pepper, mix, cook until smooth

6. Start by adding 1 tsp of Turmeric and add up to 1 more teaspoon to color to your liking, this is for color only and not taste.

7. Add macaroni, stir up.


8. SERVE!

I made turkey hot dogs from Applegate, and a side salad with buttermilk ranch dressing in addition to the mac and cheese. My kids and my husband REALLY liked it. Michael said it tasted better then the box stuff! l was glad for the leftovers. I used the leftovers as a side to crock-pot chicken the next day. It was yummy!

Let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab My Button

Honest Motherhood

Popular Posts