Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tortilla Quinoa Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing (Gluten Free) Very Simple

This is wonderful way to change up your regular salad routine and try something new! I have been using quinoa more in my recipes and adding it to my diet ever since my chiropractor Dr. Khristi mentioned it to me.{Thanks Dr. Khristi Kennedy Otto}. I'm so thankful for my chiropractic office, its not just a place to get an adjustment, but a place to talk about lifestyles changes, recipes, new health news.

 Quinoa is a known super food. It is a complete protein and is a great replacement for gluten free diets and those watching carbohydrate intake. I use it in my chicken soup instead of noodles and I use it for breakfast, I use it with curries and whatever else I can figure out.

I also want to mention that if you like avocados, and cilantro you will like this very much but if your not sure about avocados, leave them out but you can't leave out the cilantro. This salad is very refreshing and flavor packed!

 I recently picked up the book "The (Gluten Free) Quintessential Quinoa Cookbook" By Wendy Polisi. I REALLY like it and have already tried many recipes and plan to try a bunch more. I borrowed the book from the library but I will be buying this one to keep. The library is a great tool for renting books first to test them out and then only purchasing what was most useful.

Tortilla Quinoa Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing {Gluten Free}

6 corn tortillas
3c Romaine Lettuce
2c Cooked Quinoa
1 1/2c Black Beans {about 1 can}
1c Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
1 medium red onion {I used white because I had it on hand}
1 Avocado, pitted, peeled, and diced





Cilantro Lime Dressing

1/4 c fresh lime juice
2tbsp maple syrup {or agave nectar}
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 cloves garlic {or 2 tbsp minced garlic}
1/2c cilantro leaves, chopped
1/2c Olive Oil
1tsp REAL salt



Directions:

Bake corn tortillas for about 5-10 minutes in oven to make them a bit crisp, take out set aside

In a large bowl combine lettuce, quinoa, black beans, tomatoes, red onion{or white}, and avocado

Next make dressing by combining all of the ingredients, in her book it says to blend, but I think it would be good either way, blended or just mixed up, so you choose :)

Lastly add your dressing to your salad and add tortilla, you can crumble it up or leave it whole and scoop out salad on it.

Here is a link to the author of this recipes website her website:
http://www.cookingquinoa.net/

I really enjoyed reading her story about her journey with her own health. It really encouraged me. The slogan on her book says "Eat Great, Lose weight, and feel healthy", and I feel that way with her recipes.

~Honest Motherhood~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab My Button

Honest Motherhood

Popular Posts