Tuesday, March 4, 2014

REAL Food Nachos {Gluten Free} AND The Challenges of Being Hungry @ The Grocery Store With Kids


Today I totally forgot to bring a snack with me, that's always a bad idea when I know I'll be gone longer then 2-3 hours. Thankfully I had to stop at the store on my way home anyways, so I figured I would grab a few bananas for the kids and I to hold us over.

As I was walking through the store, I could tell my kids were just as hungry as I was. I had to stop myself from looking at everything, and just focus on why I came. The kids looked like vultures circling their prey ready to grab everything! I had to keep the cart in the middle of the isle so Weston didn't grab things from the shelves. I told Michael to hold onto the cart to keep himself from fingerprinting every box of goodies he saw.

Finally I grabbed some salmon and baby items and we headed to the checkout, BUT that's the worst place to be when your hungry. First they have magazines lined up with tons of garbage all over it and junk food galore. Weston grabbed for the kill and got a snickers, I gently grabbed it saying that i had some bananas in the cart for us to have. Thankfully he was so excited about the banana that he gladly let the snickers go without a fight.

As we left the checkout and everybody bundled back up to go into the arctic zone {I'm exaggerating a bit, but its so cold and keeps snowing, ah!} I gave the boys a banana. We got into the car and started on our way home. Along the road there was a lady waiting at the bus stop, and she pulled a doughnut out of her bag and started eating it. My first thought was, I wonder where she got that from? Hence where's the closet bakery BUT I stayed on my mission of home. Bakeries are places I rarely visit, because there's no gluten free options and I like to make homemade goodies anyway. BUT when your hungry anything with carbs looks good.

So when we got home Michael made peanut butter and jellies for Weston and himself, and I decided to make some REAL food nachos. Its so easy and you can add whatever you like or have on hand.

REAL Food Nachos

Corn Tortilla Chips
shredded cheese {I used RAW cheese I found @ woodmans! I was so excited}
black beans {optional}
plain yogurt {Or sour cream}
salsa
Guacamole or avocados {I used some leftover guacamole} {optional}

Other toppings you can use:
Tomatoes
spinach
lettuce
feta
onions
corn
And whatever else you can think of


Spread out your chips on a plate, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top, add black beans {and other items that need to be heated up}.

Warm up in the microwave for about 30-40 sec

 Add yogurt{sour cream}, salsa, and guacamole

Enjoy!

You can do this as a treat, snack, dinner, or for a party. People can make their own and personalize which topping they like.

You can always melt the cheese in a pot and add some butter and milk to make it more creamy like, but serve immediately before it gets to stiff ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab My Button

Honest Motherhood

Popular Posts