Sunday, March 23, 2014

Tostones {Fried Plantains}


The people in your life are definitely an influence, especially when your young and impressionable. Where you grow up, the foods you've eaten, the culture around you all impact your ways of thinking about life. Young minds especially need to be nurtured and disciplined when young, so they will grow with the ability to be respectful, honest, and moral adults.

My childhood took place mostly in a large city, with a melting pot of culture. My school was bilingual, as many children only spoke Spanish. The way I talked, dressed, acted was all influenced by the lifestyle around me. My father lived in a different town then my mother and I, so when I went to his house to visit, I remember him asking me why I talked like that. He was referring to my south side accent that I acquired. At times it still comes out without trying. I responded to my father by saying " talk like what". To me it was normal.

In that time of my life I spent a lot of time with some amazing Puerto Ricans I'll never forget! I pretty much lived with them. They were my family and by marriage are permanently now! Their Mother was an amazing cook, and I really feel like she has helped me learn a lot about being a woman. Now that I look back, she was always teaching me something. She took care of her home, children and cooked. When I think of her, I can hear her saying "Limpia la casa!", meaning clean the house in Spanish :)  Stern yet loving, kind, and beautiful.

She would always make the most delicious food, and I still today crave it. She would make these banana like things called "tostones", a fried plantain, and they were my absolute favorite! They went perfect with rice and beans. Yum! I should have just paid attention better and I would know how to make this stuff, BUT its always better coming from a loved one.

I finally did learn how to make my "tostones". I'm still learning and I'm sure I'll get the rice and beans down soon :) Here is my recipe for healthy homemade tostones.

 Tostones {Fried Plantains} 

1 plantain
1-2 TBSP Coconut Oil
Salt for taste

Cut the ends off your plantain, and carefully slice the peel of the plantain. Take out the plantain and cut into thin slices.

Heat 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil in your pan, then add plantains, making sure they are not overlapping.

Cook on medium heat until slightly browned or darker, however you like them. {I like mine a bit more browned, it has a good flavor}

Cover a plate with a paper towel and place the tostones on the plate, sprinkle with desired amount of salt.

¡Buen provecho!

I may not be puerto rican in decent but the culture runs through my veins and in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grab My Button

Honest Motherhood

Popular Posts